It’s the most wonderful time of the year – time to write the holiday letter! Here are a couple of tips to make it easier:
- Scroll through your facebook timeline (I know, you hate timeline) to see what was important to you throughout the past year
- If you keep a paper calendar, go through it month by month for important events
- Focus your letter on one big event from the last year – a special wedding anniversary, college graduation, new pet, your medal from the London Olympics, or the kitchen remodel
- If you have children, ask each child what was important to them last year. Their answers may surprise you
- Don’t forget the pictures! Use facebook again to find interesting photos – don’t worry, no one will remember seeing them before and if they do, they will enjoy them just as much the second time
- But the best idea is to start the letter NOW for 2013. Save it to your desktop and add items as they happen during the year. Keep a separate folder for photos labelled “Holiday Letter Photos 2013.” Next November, all you’ll need to do is edit!
Next: Managing the mailing list